- This event has passed.
Diversity: Do We Really Need It in Washington’s Higher Education Institutions?
February 14, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm PST
A lively and engaging panel discussion on diversity in Washington’s higher education institutions, featuring a Q & A session with experts in diversity and inclusion from regional colleges and universities.
Presented by Washington State University, Community Colleges of Spokane, Eastern Washington University, Gonzaga University, and Whitworth University.
Sponsored by the WSU Administrative Professional Advisory Council and the Office of the President.
Discussion topics include:
- What does diversity mean to you?
- Should we or shouldn’t we diversify staff and faculty in higher education? How important is it?
- How does the diversity of faculty and staff, or lack thereof, impact students?
- How can leaders best foster a culture of diversity and inclusion within their organizations?
- What resources are needed to maximize the potential of existing staff, faculty, and administrative diversity to help employees develop and reach their professional goals?
Diversity panel discussion guests:
- Asif Chaudhry, U.S. ambassador (ret.) and vice president for international programs, Washington State University
- Hadda El Atmani Estrada, dean for global education and strategic partnerships, Community Colleges of Spokane
- Joseph Kinsella, assistant academic vice president, Center for Global Engagement, Gonzaga University
- Pui-Yan Lam, professor of sociology, Eastern Washington University
- Jamie Nolan, associate vice president for community, equity, and inclusive excellence, Washington State University
- Tracy Simmons, lecturer of journalism, Gonzaga University
- Roberta Wilburn, associate dean of graduate studies in education and diversity initiatives, Whitworth University
Location: Compton Union Building (CUB) Senior Ballroom, WSU Pullman Campus, AMS video conferencing and YouTube.
Need additional accommodations?
Accommodations to access this event are available with three (3) days advance notice. Please email requests to Karen Garrett, chair, APAC professional development committee, at email@example.com.
Have a question but can’t attend in-person?
Questions or comments for panel members may be submitted in advance via email and during the event via Skype IM. Everyone who submits a question will remain anonymous unless otherwise requested. To submit a question before or during the event, email/Skype IM firstname.lastname@example.org.